Hirschberger is co-founder of Good Night Naturals, a successful and trusted Los Angeles-based, natural and organic bedding company. And, because Good Night Naturals is dedicated to us getting better sleep through natural bedding products, he advises bedding customers to be aware of several things.
- Conventional mattress manufacturers may be competent enough making a mattress that provides adequate physical comfort (like support) however, what you don’t see can cause great harm to your health.
- Because the majority of commercial bedding makers’ rely on synthetic materials, your family’s health is at risk — e.g. a king sized conventional mattress can contain up to 13 pounds of harmful chemical fire retardants.
- Hirschberger is concerned with the proliferation of toxins used in conventional mattresses and bedding, calling them “poison mattresses.”
- Moreover, manufacturers may be misleading about meeting organic guidelines because even if they do use smaller amounts of synthetics, they still emit toxic gasses that you inhale throughout the night.
Would you want your loved ones to be breathing in such dangerous toxins? Of course, not. So, for sure, buyer beware, don’t let anyone pull the “wool” over your eyes.
Speaking of wool, this wonderful completely natural fiber along with pure 100% natural latex and organic cotton, are key materials incorporated in many of Good Night Naturals’ bedding products. One of wool’s most-remarkable qualities is its ability to maintain comfortable body temperature. For example, wool bedding works like a personal heating-and-cooling system — in winter, wool creates warmth without overheating, and conversely, in summer, wool actually keeps you cooler because of its natural moisture-wicking properties.
Some other great qualities of wool include: it’s all natural, biodegradable and renewable; it’s naturally elastic, breathable, both warm and cool, and both static and odor resistant; and, wool’s inherent chemical structure makes this natural material flame resistant, and so it’s a highly trusted natural fiber in public areas such as hotels, aircraft, hospitals and theatres.
How do you like them apples?!
Always concerned about educating customers so that their experience is positive and uplifting, Hirschberger says about Good Night Naturals’ use of wonderful wool:
We use Pure Wool in the manufacture of our brand of comforters, pillows, mattress pads, mattresses and futons. Pure Wool has several purposes like allowing us to build a mattress and not use any harmful chemical fire retardants. Another proactive part of our mattress is that because it wicks away moisture, this ability to control body humidity is vital to a great night’s sleep. The drier you stay, the less you toss and turn allowing the body to rest deeply.
What’s not to like about that? But wait there’s more.
- Pure Wool refers to wool that is from sheep raised under strict conditions and is not cleaned or treated with harsh chemicals or processes.
- Pure Wool is resistant to mold and mildew, which can trigger allergic reactions.
- Other types of bedding, such as down, feathers, or synthetic materials are more of a haven for dust mites which are a leading trigger for asthma attacks.
- People who suffer from fibromyalgia, arthritis, and rheumatism find that pure wool mattress toppers help provide softer cushioning for their body parts.
So how does wondrous wool work? For over 12,000 years, wool has been used by humans to make life more comfortable for us, as Hirschberger explains:
Wool fibers create a sort of pocket of air, a dry layer of air right next to your skin, which holds in heat during chilly nights, while cooling your body as seasonal temperatures rise. Carbonization is used in the production of most wool products today. But our special Pure Wool is washed simply, in large washing machines with soap and very hot water, assuring you that you’re not getting anything other than wool in it’s purest form. Throughout the packing, cleaning and carding process, care is taken to eliminate chemical processes and maintain uniform quality. Additionally, buying products made with Pure Wool encourages sheep ranchers and the wool industry to raise and maintain their flocks naturally and without chemicals. For example, this program calls for absolutely no chemicals, pesticides or artificial materials in the sheep’s environment. Even the grasses on which the sheep are grazed are carefully selected. In the shearing process, ranchers use a clean room and a surface free of dirt, dust and pests. All of this hopefully encourages a more eco-friendly wool industry.
And this focus on eco-friendly products and strategies extends to Good Night Naturals’ use of 100% Natural Latex in its own mattresses as opposed to most other mattresses which are made with polyurethane or “memory foam” cushioning which is chock full of harmful chemicals. Hirschberger suggests that 100% Natural Latex is a terrific alternative if you suffer from backaches, pressure points, allergies, and have concerns about Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF) or if you live in an area where mold, mildew or dust mites are problems.
Because we spend more time in the bedroom than anywhere else, it’s vital that you and your family have the healthiest sleep environment. At Good Night Naturals you’ll find many well-designed and health-conscious mattresses, and related bedding that is crafted with care to provide you and your family with the safest and healthiest sleep environment…anywhere!
Hirschberger says if you have concerns or questions, check out Good Night Naturals’ very helpful and informative website, call him on the phone or just come visit their storefront. Ask away and find the best solution for more restful, healthy and happy sleep.